Flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States and damage from it costs Americans billions of dollars each year. In addition to the loss of property, many of our insureds could experience an interruption in business if flood damage is incurred at their medical office. As hurricane season heats up, we recommend that you review the checklist below to ensure that you’re prepared in the event of a flood:
- Take steps to mitigate loss. Proactively protecting your practice, and any other properties you may own, is the first step to minimize physical damage and business interruption during a natural disaster.
- Document property. Take photos and videos of your property as it is so that you have documentation of what you had if damage occurs. Also, take photos and videos to document damage once it is safe to do so.
- Know how to report a claim. In the event that your practice or other property incurs flood damage, prompt notice to your insurance carrier is essential.
- Document communication with insurers. Claim resolution can be slow following a natural disaster. Proper documentation can prevent delays and move the process smoothly toward resolution.
- Review insurance policies and assess the need for coverage. Understanding your insurance policies and scope of coverage is essential. Now is the time to assess if your current coverage is satisfactory or if there is exposure that you may need to address with an insurance professional.
Elatas Risk Partners, a wholly-owned subsidiary of LAMMICO, can provide highly personalized insurance solutions to fit your unique needs. For specific coverage details, contact Elatas Marketing Specialist Alesha Raney, CISR, CPIW, at email@example.com or 504.841.5255.
To learn more about our other coverage options, please visit Elatas.com.